Monday, March 15, 2010

Music In My Life

I remembered when I was still in kindergarten, my mom would draw pictures and write the lyrics of a song that is connected with the drawing. I would colour the drawings, and of course learn those songs. Well, it only lasted awhile and the book was not used again. The book was hidden until I accidently found it a few years ago (which is now lost again). When I read through it, happiness filled my heart as I recall fragments of my childhood.

In primary school, whenever there's a party to celebrate, no matter new year, Christmas, weddings...... mummy would sing karaoke with her friends. I would only listen, slowly, I started singing along, but I never dare myself to go close to the microphone. Until when I was in primary 4 or 5, I started to ask mummy so that I can try singing with the microphone, at a few of her friends' house, I felt embarressed and happy at the same time. Out of the whole family, I was the one that attended the least parties. Year after year, I attended less and less of them, unknowingly, I went back to square one, I crept back into the shell.

In (I think) primary 6, I started liking a singer, JJ. I guess I was influenced because my mum also liked his songs. We even bought a compilation CD. I prefer the slow songs more at that time. I listened to it, nearly everyday and learned the songs and sang them when I was alone.

After leaving primary school, I was given a chance to change myself, try to start a new life, but I would have lost that chance if it wasn't for a girl in school that gave me a push. In a way, she changed my life. Because of her, I met new friends, slowly, I took small steps out of the shell. Because of her, I became alive and learned to mingle with other people. Because of her, I reconnected with music. As we know each other more, we found out that we share a lot of interest. She opened my eyes to a lot of different music and I started liking a few other singers, but JJ was still my favourite. We would sing songs that we heard from the radio. In PJ lessons, the girls will sing any song, as long as we're singing together. It was the happiest time in the whole week. After 2 lovely years with her, she transferred to another school, we barely contact each other, only through the internet. But even after 2 years, I still miss her...

There's another girl in the same class with me, the more I get to know her, the more I thought "she's so cool..." We sat together for nearly 2 years in class, imagine how much of the time in class is used for talking! She's the one that introduced me to many new genres and singers She also introduced me the group TVXQ. The first song I heard from them was My Destiny, followed by Tonight, which was the song that stunned me in form 3. Soon, I listened to more of their songs, and got addicted to the voices that just send chills to me.(I'll confess...I'm really addicted to JJ and TVXQ...a lot...)(that was random...)

My friends in class aren't just into modern songs, sometimes, randomly, a song from our parents' generation just comes out of nowhere and we'll be singing it, accompanied by laughter because of a few cute selfmade dances. We'll sing only a few phrases and rewind, play again, rewind, play again until we finally walk out of the gates of the school where it ends.

Music isn't just what I like, it calms me down, it helps me in soothing my pain, so much. After such a long time only I knew it's already a part of me, a part of my life. Without it......................................................................................................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment