Tuesday, March 15, 2011

For A Lovely Friend...

There were so many people around me. They were congratulating me. I am a world-class designer and have opened more than 100 outlets in 20 countries. I just got the Prime Minister’s recognition. I was given a lifetime achievement award for my work. He gave me a pat on the back and I was to give my speech to the 5,000 people in the hall. “First of all, it is an honor for me to receive this award from the Prime Minister himself. I would like to thank my parents, my family who were always by my side supporting me. Thank you to my friends, my colleges, my first, second and third boss, that taught me so much. Thank you also to my wonderful husband……

“Hello? Wake up girl, you have lots to do today,” someone whispered into my ear. The sight in front of me slowly disappeared. I rubbed my eyes and lazily opened them. “Eh, wake up now!” It was Lee Ngoh calling me up.

It was a dream? I should have put earplugs! “I’m up. I’m up. Thanks Lee Ngoh.” He left the room, probably for breakfast.

After making my bed, I looked out the window. Winter has passed a few days ago and it’s spring. The sun is shining brightly. The garden is full of life. The flowers are starting to bloom and attracting butterflies. The old oak tree on the left corner of our garden is starting to weave itself a brand new outfit. “Perfect weather for the event.” I said to myself with a smile. After taking a bath and all dressed up, I went to my study table to take a look at the list I prepared two days ago.

"Why aren't you down for breakfast?" I turned around to see mother. "We have a lot to do and you're going to be my assistant. So make sure you're focus." She continued. I nodded and tucked the list into my bag.

After breakfast, I followed mother to the venue for the event. We are organizing an engagement party for mother's best friend and long time partner of the company, Aunt Hemlatha. This was a special request from her boyfriend, Mr. Minho. I don't know much about this guy, but what I heard from mother was that he is an artiste working in a famous entertainment company. The venue was actually an air-conditioned studio owned by the company.

We rented it and mother designed a setting according to a photo Mr. Minho gave her. The setting will be a replica of a small town in Paris, where they first met. This is what I'm imagining of how they met...

Aunt Hemlatha was having a vacation in Paris. On the other hand, Mr. Minho was having a mini concert there. Aunt Hemlatha was having a walk down the streets after dinner, enjoying the night scene of Paris. Mr. Minho had just finished his concert and was walking away from the crowd, maybe sneaking out of the crowd. He walked on the lonely streets, thinking deep. Both of them accidentally bumped into each other, under a mistletoe. They looked into each others eyes, and it was love at first sight, or maybe both of their consciences were saying "meet someone in Paris! Instead of being alone in a night like this".

"Honey, please stop your blogging drafts for awhile and help me call the store for a follow up on the ring," mother called out.

After the followup on the ring, I went to see the replica setting in Studio 1. There were around 10 people running around carrying boxes, ladders, and some of them were sweeping the floor! Mother was so cool! She was like a conductor, taking control of the staffs while making sure nothing is missed out. The Paris setting was awesome, the buildings were exactly like the ones in the photos, just enlarged. They even put cement-like pavements on the floor that was also in the photo. Behind the replicated setting was where Aunt Hemlatha's and Mr. Minho's parents will be hiding. They have not arrived yet and the staffs were arranging a few tables with chairs. The plan was to have a small feast after Mr. Minho popped the question and Aunt Hemlatha's answer.

Soon, the caterer came and they started to set up a place for the food. I took a peek at what's been ordered and it was quite a colorful set of dishes, Korean, Malaysian, Fusion, it's all there.

"You're not going to steal a bite now, are you?" A deep voice came from behind me.

"Mr. Minho? Good morning! How do you feel? Are you nervous?" I asked excitedly.

Suddenly remembering what he asked, I answered "No".

Laughing, Mr. Minho said "I feel excited, nervous at the same time. It's been a few weeks since I saw her. Schedule is a bit tight lately. Tell me, from your opinion, what will..."

"Wei Seen, come here and help a bit with the flower arrangement over there. Oh, hello Mr. Minho. Sorry to cut into your conversation." mother pretty much shouted from the other end of the studio.

I scrambled to help with the flowers as Mr. Minho talked to mother. "I called Hemlatha and told her I'm working in Studio 1. I asked her to come after 1 hours, is that okay?" Minho asked mother, to which she smiled and nodded. He's parents and soon-to-be in-laws came into the studio, awed by the setting. Mother saw them and asked Mr. Minho to go have a seat with them and have a relaxed conversation. This was to keep Mr. Minho "unstressed". Mr. Jinki and Mr. Jonghyun also came, not as guests, but as director and cameraman. They'll be recording when Mr. Minho is asking the question, but Aunt Hemlatha wouldn't know.

The ring soon came and was given to Mr. Minho.

"She's here! Everyone, to your places!" someone shouted. Mother, the staffs and I were finishing up some parts, The guests were hiding where Aunt Hemlatha couldn't see them, Mr. Minho was standing near the door, waiting for Aunt Hemlatha. Everyone finished and went into hiding.

"Knock knock!" Aunt Hemlatha was at the door. It opened, "Hello?" She walked in and Mr. Minho held her hand.

"Work will be done in a bit, can you help me a bit?" Mr. Minho asked as he led her to the setting without waiting an answer. Surprised, Aunt Hemlatha asked,"Where's all the people? What work are you doing? Is it a movie?"

"Can you do me a favor? Just have a seat here," Mr. Minho let her sit on a bench in the Paris setting in front of the camera that Mr. Jinki was holding.

"What favor?" she was still clueless about what she is suppose to help.

"Please answer a question for me, truthfully from your heart. Can you do that?" Mr. Minho asked as he looked into her eyes. Mr. Jonghyun giggled for a second. Blushing a bit, Aunt Hemlatha nodded.

"Hemlatha, firstly, I'm sorry for not being able to meet you for these past few weeks due to my career. But I want to be with you, always. You are my life, my everything. Miss Hemlatha, will you marry me?" Mr. Minho asked, getting down on his knees and taking out the ring that had the words "eternally".

Aunt Hemlatha was quiet for awhile, she was blushing more.

"Yes," she nodded smiling just as radiant as the sun. Mr. Minho helped her wear the ring and gave her a kiss.

"Minho, are the both of them....are they filming this??" she asked like a child. He laughed and nodded. We who were in hiding came out and clapped joyfully for the sweet couple. She saw so many people and was probably in shock. Her parents hugged her. Her in-laws also congratulated her. Everyone was smiling. It was a very very happy scene.

"There's a small feast behind here!" mother called out and led the guest to the buffet. There were around 20 people, including family members and a few close friends. Everyone enjoyed the small feast, having conversation and constantly congratulating the couple.

"Your Aunt Hemlatha is getting married! We'll going to plan the best wedding dinner anyone will ever have, maybe in a few months time. You better get ready for a busy one." mother jokingly told me, personally, I think she really mean it......

Aunt Hemlatha, congratulation!!

3 comments:

  1. Why is Lee Ngoh always a guy? Yippy, Hemlatha is old and marrying a Korean and you are not getting married...yet.I think Minho will never have a chance to propose to her in real life as she'll faint at the sight of him going 'OMG, it's MINHO!' Did you really write the story at 1am? Goddness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cause lee ngoh is my brother haha but then she's als my sister...... i was thinking of another story for my own marriage. about the time, it was set at 1 but it actually took me a few days hehehe. i finished it in the morning at about 10...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!!!!! wei seen thank you s lot!!! love you!!!! seriously..im reading this is my college comp lab and you seriously make laugh like a mad person..cheng was "Hemlatha wats wrong with you," and i was like.."i couldnt control my laughter," Shu Yuan ah..i WONT FAINT..OK!!! i will never faint in front of a celebrity it will make more embarass..and besides he is just a talented person..not like other fangirls who will freak out..i respect him as a human being too..!!!

    ReplyDelete