Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Essay/Story 003: Stone

The bunch of students were from a girls' school nearby. They were here to see the ancient collection in this museum. I heard the curator said a few days ago. As always, I will always be critique by people. I took a deep breath, prepare myself for the harsh words from these students. The curator, Mr. Robinson, took the students to a statue a few feet away from me. The statue was Mrs. Robinson's creation. It was a statue of the late mayor. It was finely carved, it was Mr. Robinson's most precious possession. He was explaining about the mayor's contribution to the town and that everyone respected him. The students listen intently.

Soon, the curator finished about the mayor and I was next. He stood next to me, as the students all gathered in front of me. I felt embarrassed because all eyes were fixed on me. "This here is a mysterious piece. It appeared in this museum one night in 1990. It looks like a giant cocoon but it turned out to be just a slightly unfinished, ordinary stone when we studied it. No one knows who made it or how it got into the museum which was secured with guards. I'll let you students explore and study the collections for awhile. I need to take care of a few documents." Mr. Robinson hurried into the administration office as the students walk around, with curious eyes.

A few girls who looked like rich pampered princesses came in front of me. "This is a waste of time! Coming to this museum! It smells! I'd rather be doing my nails and go shopping at the new mall! It's stuffy and I feel like fainting!" one of the girls complained. Seriously, this girl has a voice that irritates my ears! But I can't scold her or do anything. I'm trapped and I don't know how to get out of here. Everyday I ask myself, what did I do to have to be trapped in here?

"Let me tell you girls, this piece is an extraordinary large of stupid stone which was put here for our amusement, " the girl just now mocked. Her friends laughed along with her. How I wish I could tell her that she laughs like a hyena! Note to self, you need to calm down, it's no good being angry over her. I decided to turn my attention to another group of students, but alas, the girl was poking me. When will she go away? "Stop it Cassandra! This is a museum!" a voice sounded from 10 feet away.

I looked as the girls turned to see who was it. "It" was a guy, an Asian, but he had blue eyes which was so mesmerizing, maybe it was contact lens. Wait, he is with the group? I thought this is a girls' school. "Whatever! Loser. Lets go girls, I need new, easy, breezy, fresh air. Out of this ugly museum!" the girl finally went out of my sight. "Thank you," I whispered. Somehow, he heard what I said. "What? Who said that? I must be hearing things," he mumbled to himself as he went to help a young student that fell down. He's such a nice guy. But how is it possible that he can hear what I said? I've been trying to talk or even shout for 17 years in here, but no one seems to be able to hear me. Who is he? Is it possible that I can seek help from him? With all the hope I have, I tried to shout, " wait, please help me!"

I looked at him, he turned. He was slightly scared because there was no one around him besides the young student. "Here, I'm at the cocoon stone!" I shouted again. He walked towards me, confused. "Where are you?" he asked with a gentle voice. "Please don't be scared. I'm inside the cocoon thingy." I told him, nearly crying. "Inside? Am I out of my mind? I'm talking to a stone, for goodness sake!" I was afraid that he would leave "no, wait! You're not. Please help me." I pleaded him. He then said, "I'll try. What's your name?" "I don't know." I never knew what my name was. I had no memory of anything except that I was trapped in here all alone. "How should I help you?" He asked me again. With a sigh, I replied, "I don't know."

Out of a sudden, he's expression turned from confused to full concentration. I didn't know what was he going to do and I panicked. "What are you doing?" He looked around, there was no one. He told me to stay calm and close my eyes. I did what he told. For a moment, it was silence and then, my whole body was cold, then hot like it was being burned. I felt scared but I still kept my eyes shut.

Suddenly, I heard a cracking sound. Then, I felt that I was standing on the marble tiles. Was I free? What had happened? Someone held my hand. "It's okay, now you can open your eyes." At the same time, he pulled a jacket over my shoulders. Slowly, I opened my eyes. I wasn't trapped anymore! I was so happy, so happy that I cried. The guy saw that I was weak and barefooted so he picked me up. The guy carried me out of the museum, where I've never seen. He constantly checked and made sure no one was around.

"Are you hurt?" He asked me, checking if there's any wounds. I shook my head. He then led me into a car. After buckling the seat belts, he started the car engine and drove away from the museum. "Aren't you with the students just now?" I asked, remembering of those nasty girls. To that, he said, "well, long story short, I was transferred to the wrong school. You're not from here, are you?" I told him that I couldn't remember anything. "Don't worry, I know where you're from," he then turned to concentrate on driving.

Who was this guy? How did he hear me in the stone? How did he freed me from the stone? I found myself feeling a bit scared of this person that freed me. He was a total stranger. "What's your name?" I decided to start a conversation to know more after feeling a little comfortable with the new surrounding. "I guess you're feeling better now. I'm Nick." He continued, "So you've been in there for 17 years. It was tough, wasn't it?" I nodded. I turned to the side window and took a deep breath. I just wanted a good rest. Soon, I felt drowsy and drifted to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment