Thursday, February 10, 2011

School Essay: Family Gathering

Modernization, because of it, technology is always improving, skyscrapers are built everyday and we are moving at a faster pace every second. Our time is spent on schooling, tuition, works until we do not have time for our loved ones, our family. This is why we have family gathering once in awhile to catch up on times and strengthen the relationship.

It's been 2 years since my family had a gathering. Mummy suggested we have one and she started to list out the relatives' names before anyone could say yes. I was told to find their phone numbers according to the list while daddy said that we should have a dinner at our house since it would be more "homely". We all agreed and started to plan the gathering.

After a few days, we received phone calls from our relatives saying that they would come for the family gathering, there was Uncle Keat, Uncle Terrence and his family, Aunt Ling and our grandparents. Our house will be filled with so many people! On the day of the family gathering, mummy and I went out to buy the ingredients for the cooking. As I was always going to my room for computer games, I didn't know how to choose the fresh vegetables and meat. Mummy taught me with full of patience. Later, we went to buy ice-cream for dessert.

When we returned home, we found out that the dining table is not enough for 15 people. My brother said that we could use the ping pong table and with the help of daddy, they carried the table into the dining area as I helped mummy in the kitchen. It was tough to work as there were many people coming for dinner. Luckily, Aunt Ling came early to help or we will be tired out.

Soon, our relatives came one by one. The living room starts to be filled with laughter as Uncle Keat was telling everyone about his life in Hong Kong. My brother and sister were playing scrabble with cousin Ian and Calvin. Both of my siblings were cracking their brains as they were so good at the game. I took a peek from the kitchen and my heart was filled with warmth to see the relatives chatting to each other happily.

"Dinner is ready!" I shouted as mummy was frying the last dish. Everyone in the living room hurried to the kitchen to try and help serve the dishes but was refused by Aunt Ling. She said the small kitchen will be too crowded to even walk. End up, only my younger sister was allowed to help us serve the plates of rice and bowls of soup. The dishes were also served onto the tables. My sister tried to use her exceptionally cute face and asked mummy for ice-cream but she failed. The whole family was laughing as she tried 3 more times but still failed.

During dinner, there was less talking and more chewing. Everyone dug their chopsticks into the dishes nonstop as they were delicious. Uncle Keat even asked for a third bowl of rice. The fried fish, lemon chicken, prawns, tofu, vegetables are all finished within 30 minutes. After that, daddy excused himself and went to the fridge. He took out a box and I shouted out "cake!" Only then I realized that a few days later would be my grandmother's seventieth birthday. Uncle Terrence helped to put the candles and light them up. We all sang the birthday song and grandmother blew out the candles after wishing. The cake was cut and served to all. My sister still asked for ice-cream even after the cake and finally mummy allowed her to have dessert.

After the "family food fair", we all went to the living room for a movie. We watched "Ice Age 2", a comedy film. Throughout the movie, we laughed our hearts out. "Time to go," Uncle Terrence said after the 2 hour movie. The kids begged to stay as they hadn't played enough games. Uncle Terrence reminded them that they have a busy schedule the next day and they must have enough sleep. We all hugged each other tightly and bid goodbye. Our relatives left and we went to bed with a beautiful memory to remember.

2 comments: